General gaming

General gaming


Interview: Resident Evil 6's Director and Producer on Giving Their Game Global Appeal

Posted: 05 Oct 2012 06:07 PM PDT

Feature

1UP COVER STORY

Header

1UP COVER STORY | WEEK OF OCTOBER 1 | A DARK DESCENT INTO RESIDENT EVIL

Interview: Resident Evil 6's Director and Producer on Giving Their Game Global Appeal

Cover Story: Eiichiro Sasaki and Yoshiaki Hirabayashi on Capcom's move from survival horror to entertainment horror.

By: Bob Mackey and Jose Otero

A

s the times change, so does Resident Evil. What started as a dark-and-creepy throwback to PC adventure games like Alone in the Dark has since changed into a globetrotting, full-octane spectacle that bears little resemblance to its 32-bit roots. Just a few days before the release of Resident Evil 6, we sat down with director Eiichiro Sasaki and Yoshiaki Hirabayashi for a discussion about their horror roots, the unpredictable path of the Resident Evil franchise, and the difficulties of making a game for a global audience that still keeps fans of the original happy.

1UP: Have you had played Sweet Home, or any of the older survival horror games for the Famicom, and did you enjoyed them in any way? We were interested in your history with horror video games.

Hell is Other People: Resident Evil's Strange History Exploring Partnerships and Perspective

Posted: 05 Oct 2012 01:47 PM PDT

Feature

1UP COVER STORY

Header

1UP COVER STORY | WEEK OF OCTOBER 1 | A DARK DESCENT INTO RESIDENT EVIL

Hell is Other People: Resident Evil's Strange History Exploring Partnerships and Perspective

Cover Story: How Capcom's famed horror series never truly left you alone in the dark.

T

he most terrifying moment in my entire life took place on a chilly summer night in 1996. I was at summer camp in Becket, Massachusetts, a contained little world of woods, bug bites, and murky lakes, not too different from the Arklay Mountains sitting outside of Raccoon City. My friends and I had been at "Den," the 14-year-old's equivalent of singles night at the bar where we got to have sodas with the chicks our age, but I'd decided to head back to the cabin early. I was close enough that I could still hear everyone, scattered laughter and muted snatches of words, but far enough away that most of the light thrown off by the moon was swallowed whole by the trees. One second, I was fine; the next I was so tense that the hair on my neck could start an electrical fire. Something was out there in the woods--I knew it--and the night got quieter as my heart boomed. Then my friend came screaming and waving his arms like a lunatic (the real, escaped-from-an-asylum kind, not your average 14-year-old) out of the weeds. I in turn screamed, fell over, and truth to tell, peed myself a little.

Spot Art

Total Pageviews

statcounter

View My Stats